Awards: Top Awards – Artists can receive only one award from this section:
Grand Champion $1,000
Reserve Champion $600
Award of Merit $400
The Grand Champion and the Reserve Champion will become the property of the Walworth County Fair and Will be SOLD to the highest bidder at the annual Walworth County Fair Foundation Woodcarving Auction. Held on Sunday, September 4th at 3 p.m. 2022 at the park stage. Funds raised at the sale of these paintings will be used in the Arts and Craft Building. The Walworth County Fair Foundation, established in 2001 is a 501c3 non-profit corporation.
Special Awards – Artists can receive multiple awards from this section:
- Render the Vendor $200 Sponsored by Stillwater Coffee Co.
- Ewe Kids at the Fair $200 Sponsored by Walworth County Arts Council
- Sharing a Fair Smile $200 Sponsored by Farmer Wally
- Best Dairy Animal $200 Sponsored by the Walworth County Dairy Promotion Board
- Best Capture of Fair Theme $200 Sponsored by Hannah Anhalt (Earle) 2019 Fairest of Fair
Liability: Regardless of cause, the artist agrees to bear all risk and expense for any loss, theft or damage to their artwork or other personal property or injury to their person. The artist agrees to be responsible for ensuring their artwork, and to abide by all rules set by the Walworth County Fair. Participating artists and all paintings submitted may be photographed and videotaped by Walworth County Fair for promotional purposes.
Plein Air At the Walworth County Fair
Overview: Plein Air at the Fair Event is an opportunity for artists to create artwork that is inspired by and created solely, at the Walworth County Fair. All artwork must embody the Plein Air spirit by capturing the light, mood and atmosphere of the moment. This competition is open to all.
- Artists must have and use their own supplies.
- Each painting must be created entirely on-site at the Walworth County Fairgrounds on Wednesday, August 31st, 2022 between 8:45 am and 10:00 pm.
- Artists may submit up to two paintings in the event.
- Artists must paint in the ticketed area of the Fair Grounds. Only areas open to the public are available to artists. In addition, artists can only paint in buildings open to the public during hours of operation. A map marked with the areas will be provided to registered artists in the informational packet that will be mailed.
A painting will be disqualified for judging if the artist:
• Is found using a photographic device or photos on their easel
• Is not within the ticketed area of the Walworth County FairGrounds.
• Intentionally impedes the sightlines of other artists.
Artists will be responsible for framing their artwork. Final, ready to hang artwork must be submitted by 9:30 am on Thursday September 1st, 2022 (see submission section). Please note that judging of fair book entries will be happening while you are dropping off your artwork.
Registration: First 30 artists to register will be accepted. Registration fee is $30. All registered artists will receive four (4) complimentary admission tickets and a Wednesday only parking permit to the Walworth County Fair. The registration fee must accompany the registration form.
Registration Deadline: All registrations must be postmarked by Thursday, August 11th, 2022. Registration fees are not refundable or transferable. Any registration fee received after the maximum number of artists are registered will be returned. Questions: Questions regarding competition rules should be directed to Susan Duerst Earle by phone at 262 642 5746 or by email at email@example.com
Check-in and material stamping:
- Check-in and material stamping will be open from 7:30 am to 8:45 am (no exceptions ) on WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31st, 2022.
- Check-in location will be at the Arts and Craft Building located on the north side of the Fair Grounds. Look for the “Plein Air at the Fair” signs.
- All artists must check in at this time regardless of painting time, due to driving restrictions on the grounds. Please note: Wednesday is the only day that materials can be stamped for the Plein Air Event.
- Artists will enter the fairgrounds through the North Gate, Located on Highway 11 near the Equestrian Center. You must show tickets and a Plein Air Painting Participant Parking Pass. You will then be directed to turn right and continue to the check in area and drop off your supplies. You will then park your vehicles in the designated parking area. (map will be provided).
After their vehicles have been parked, artists will be shuttled back if necessary to the drop-off area to check in. Painting materials must be stamped before artists are allowed to begin painting. For dark colored materials, please paint a white patch on the back to provide a visible stamping area. Artists will receive a packet that will include a button at check-in, this button must be worn while painting.
Time period for painting: From 9:00 am till 10:00 pm on Wednesday August 31st,2022.
Materials: Media may include oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, gouache and pencil.
Maximum submission size:
- Unframed painting area – 320 square inches
- If Framed – 480 square inches
- Unframed canvas wrapped will be accepted.
- For the purposes of this competition, square inches shall refer to the standard formula of length multiplied by width. For example: 16" x 20" canvas = 320 square inches.
Submission: Each artist may submit a maximum of two signed paintings.
- Artists must drop off the ready to hang artwork at the Plein Air Exhibit Area located inside the Arts and Craft Building.
- Artists will be responsible for framing their artwork.
- Final, ready to hang artwork must be submitted by 9:30 am on Thursday September 2nd, 2022. Please note that judging of fair book entries will be happening in that building while you are dropping off your artwork.
Completed Artwork Drop off times:
- Wednesday August 31, 2022 Noon and 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, September 1st, 2022 by 9:30 am.
- There is NO special parking permit for Thursday. Parking is free on the grounds.
- Judging will begin approximately at 5:30 pm. It will be after the open class judging for that day is completed. The judge may wish to take a break. Time is Approximate.
- Check-in stamp must be visible on the back of each painting in order to be accepted.
- Paintings must be appropriately framed or canvas wrapped. They must be securely wired and ready to hang.
- All submitted artwork must be for sale and remain in the exhibit until the end of the fair.
Walworth County Fair reserves the right to accept or not accept any painting for exhibition including, but not limited to, paintings that are improperly framed, stained mats, alligator hangers, those with wet paint on edges, etc.
Price: Artists will set the price for their paintings. Price changes will not be allowed after submission of painting.
Release of un purchased Artwork: Any artwork not sold will be released on Tuesday, September 6th, 2022 from 10 am to 6 pm. To pick up your artwork you WILL need a PHOTO ID. If sending a representative please provide a signed note. Be advised the release day for all other items in the building is also on Tuesday, September, 6th, 2022, From 3 pm to 6 pm..
Purchased Artwork: Artists will be notified if their artwork is sold. All purchased paintings will stay on exhibit for the complete run of The Walworth County Fair. which closes on Monday, September 5th, 2022. All paintings can be purchased by credit card during the Walworth County Fair. With the exception of the Grand Champion and Reserve Champion, (See Below) Purchased artwork should not be removed until Tuesday, September 6th, 2022, and must be picked up between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm that day, or special arrangements need to be made in advance with the Superintendent of the buidling or Fair Director Susan Earle. The credit card purchase will be done by the staff in the FAIR OFFICE. Paid receipt from the fair office will be needed to have the painting released.
Commissions: The Walworth County Fair will retain a 30% commission on all paintings sold during the Walworth County Fair. Artist payment will be mailed to the address provided at registration within four weeks following the end of the Walworth County Fair. With the exception of the Grand Champion and Reserve Champion, (See Below)
Judges: A panel of two Plein Air artists will judge the exhibit on Thursday September 1st, 2022 after the Open Class judging has been completed in the Arts and Craft Building. The winners will be announced after judging. The judging will begin approximately 5:30 pm.